I’m writing this blogpost because I’ve already received lots of questions about the supplementary panel and the criteria needed to access the supplementary panel.
What is the panel?
There are two redeployment panels for primary teachers in Ireland – the main panel and the supplementary panel for appointments to full time permanent positions.
The main panel; this panel is for all teachers who had permanent jobs but a job/jobs were lost in their school. These teachers are placed on the main panel.
The supplementary panel; this is a panel for teachers who are fully registered with the teaching council (have completed their probation), and have reached the salary requirement needed.
There are 25 ‘Catholic’ panels which are based in each diocese along with a panel for Church of Ireland schools, educate together schools,An Foras Patrúnachta and the special supplementary panel (for special schools).
You can only apply for access to the panel in the area/diocese where you are currently teaching. (If you have worked in two different panel areas in the 2016 calendar year – you can apply for panel rights in the diocese where you completed the majority of your service or in the area where you are currently teaching and where you will be teaching until the end of the year – June 2017)
Next March/April when schools know there teacher allocations for the following year – the panels come into effect. The main panel must be cleared before the supplementary panel can be used.
Teaching Council Registration
Full registration with the teaching council (You must have completed your probation/dip by 9th December 2016)
This requirement is slightly different depending on when you got your first teaching appointment.
Teachers whose first teaching appointment in a school was prior to 1 January 2011;
- Gross salary of at least €29,000 (including allowances) in the 2016 calendar year.
- Be on; point 5 (or higher) point of the relevant teachers salary scale on or before 31st December 2016. (If you started on the 3rd point of the scale – you should be on point 6 or higher.
- Be on point 4 (or point 5 if you started on the 3rd point of the scale) on or before 31st December 2016 AND be contracted to teach for the remainder of 2016/2017 school year on or before 9 December 2016.
Teachers whose first teaching appointment in a school was after the 1 January 2011;
- Gross salary of at least €26,100 (including allowances) in the 2016 calendar year.
- Be on; point 4 (or higher) of the relevant teachers salary
- Be on; point 3 of the relevant teachers salary on or before 31st December AND be contracted to teach for the remainder of 2016/2017 school year on or before 9 December 2016.
(Taken from the circular.)
A teacher will be regarded as eligible for access to the Supplementary Panel if the only reason for not meeting the scale point criteria is due to the 3 month increment freezes under this agreement.
Service which cannot be used for access to Supplementary Panel
- Previous permanent service
- Previous service as a post primary teacher
- Incremental credit (if you taught abroad)
- Unqualified service
Part time teachers
- Same eligibility criteria
- Salary earnings; adjusted on a pro rata basis
How to apply;
Application form here – CLOSING DATE IS 9TH DECEMBER 2016!
Further information available;
Panel Update form (once you have been appointed to a permanent role – you will need to send this form to remove your name from the panel – this won’t be completed until May – August 2017)