A colleague shared this idea with me and I tried it today and it worked brilliantly! At the beginning of each week, the children share what they did at the weekend – they try to use as much Irish as possible and as the weeks progress they build up a huge range of phrases they can use. Today, 5 children shared what they did at the weekend and I wrote this on the board. The children then wrote down the sentences and we read them together.
View this post on Instagram
Brilliant idea from a colleague for Irish. I asked the children about their weekend and we wrote sentences as Gaeilge. Then they wrote it down themselves and we read it together. We’ll use this for líon na bearnaí, grammar activities and questioning too. #irishteacher #irishprimaryteacher #iteachtoo #gaeilge
Then I asked the children different questions based on the text. Tomorrow we’ll do Líon na Bearnaí and Fíor nó Bréagach activities – see samples below. Then we’ll do some work on grammar and making the sentences more interesting. We’ll use the
An Deireadh Seachtaine – Líon na Bearnaí
- D’imir Cáit cluiche peile i gcoinne Naomh Bríde. ______ said an cluiche.
- Bhí Orla ______. Rinne sí píog úll.
- ______ James ag scátáil i bPáirc na dTor.
- Chuaigh Ciarán go dtí ‘Eilifint agus Caisleán’ i mBarra an Teampaill. D’ith sé _____ agus babhla eití sicín. D’ith sé scoilteoig bhanana don _______.
- Chuaigh Saoirse go dtí _______ a cara i Zip It!
An Deireadh Seachtaine – Fíor nó Bréagach
- D’imir Cáit cluiche iománaíochta i gcoinne Naomh Bríde. Chaill said an cluiche.
- Bhí Orla ag bácáil. Rinne sí cáca seacláide.
- Chuaigh James ag scátáil i bPáirc an Fhionnuisce.
- Chuaigh Ciarán go dtí ‘Eilifint agus Caisleán’ i mBarra an Teampaill. D’ith sé sceallóga agus babhla eití sicín. D’ith sé scoilteoig bhanana don mhilseog.
- Chuaigh Saoirse go dtí breithlá a cara i Zip It!
So many posibilities with this small piece of writing. Every week the children will gain more confident and build up a bank of relevant sentences which they can use in their writing.