I’ve received lots of messages from teachers who trained in the UK and now wish to return to Ireland or teachers who have been working in the UK and now want to come back home. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions.

uk abroad

Teaching council

If you trained in the UK you will need to apply for teaching council registration and to have your qualifications recognised.

You must have a teaching council number in order to be paid by the Department of Education in Ireland.


Incremental Credit

Incremental credit can be awarded for relevant teaching or non- teaching positions abroad – progression on the pay scale.

Download form here.

Supplementary panel rights

If you are awarded incremental credit and then are on the correct point of the scale for panel rights – this does not count for supplementary panel rights. Only teaching experience in Ireland paid by the Department of Education counts towards supplementary panel rights.