I write an explanation blogpost about the Supplementary Panel every year and it is always very popular so hopefully I can answer some of your questions here.
What is the supplementary panel?
The supplementary panel is a panel made up of teachers who are currently covering substitute/temporary positions who are looking for a permanent position. These teachers have to meet certain criteria to be eligible for access to the supplementary panel which I’ll go through below.
How is the supplementary panel different to the main panel?
The supplementary panel is for substitute/temporary teachers who are looking to get a permanent job.The main panel is for permanent teachers/ teachers who have a CID who have lost their job due to a change in circumstances in their school e.g. numbers dropped and the school loses a teacher.
What is a CID?
A CID is a contract of indefinite duration that is available to teachers who have worked in excess of two years in the same school. A CID contract is equivalent to a permanent contract but a teacher with a CID could be covering a temporary contract in the school. There is further information about CID’s in this blogpost or from the DES.
Criteria for access to the supplementary panel
Teaching Council Registration
You must be fully registered with the teaching council – and you must have completed your probationary period by 21st December 2018.
First Appointment – Prior to 1 January 2011
- Gross salary €29,000 (including allowances) in 2018 calendar year.
- Point 5 (or higher) on the salary scale. (by 31st December) (Point 6 or higher if you started on Point 3) OR Point 4 (Point 5 if you started on Point 3) by 31st December 2018 and have a contract for the remainder of the school year.
First Appointment – After 1 January 2011
- Gross salary €26,100 (including allowances) in 2018 calendar year.
- Point 4 (or higher) on the salary scale (by 31st December) OR Point 3 (by 31st December) and have a contract for the remainder of the school year on or before 21st December 2018.
You must apply for the panel where you have completed the majority of your teaching within the 2018 calendar year OR the school in which you are contracted to teach on or before 21st December 2018 to the end of the 2018/2019 school year.
Important to Note
- A teacher will be eligible for access to the supplementary panel the only reason for not meeting the scale point criteria is due to the three month increment freeze(s) under the Haddington Road Agreement.
- Service which can’t be counted towards panel rights – previous permanent service, service as a post primary teacher, incremental credit and unqualified service.
Supplementary Panel 2019/2020 – Department of Education