These are good topics to cover this week in the lead up to St. Patricks Day and during Seachtain na Gaeilge.
The Irish Flag
Questions and areas for children to investigate:
- Who designed the Irish flag? Complete a project on Thomas Francis Meaghar.
- When was the flag designed/first flown?
- What do the colours symbolise?
- When did the flag become more famous?
- What are the rules for respecting the flag?
- Irish Times – 15 Facts
- Department of the Taoiseach
- Enchanted Learning
- Ireland Flag Facts
- Fact Monster
The National Anthem
- Who wrote the national anthem?
- When was it written?
- What language was it written in?
- What does it mean?
- What is your favourite line in the song? Why?
- When do we hear the national anthem?
- Is there any other song that is also used at sporting events? Why is this song used?